Answering Your Divorce Questions

At Hobika Law Firm in Utica, New York, we know that the uncertainty of divorce can result in anxiety for men, women and children. Here, we provide answers to frequently asked divorce questions so you can find the peace of mind that comes with knowledge.

For answers to questions specific to your divorce case, we encourage you to reach out to our lawyers personally. Call 315-327-2849 or toll free 800-587-9559 to schedule a consultation.

How Much Will My Divorce Cost?

Many factors impact the cost of filing for divorce, but we work to resolve divorce cases as efficiently as possible to minimize costs for our clients. We always begin by trying to resolve issues amicably through negotiation, but we are equipped to litigate matters in family court when it is in the best interest of a client.

Will I Lose My Kids?

This is possible only in extremely rare cases where there is a danger to the child due to substance abuse or other issues. It is the priority of the court to arrive at child custody and visitation arrangements that keep both parents in a child’s life. We will work to protect your relationship with your children and make sure they have the nurturing they need as they grow into adults.

How Long Will My Divorce Take?

This can vary wildly depending on the unique circumstances of a case. The primary driver of length in a divorce is the number of unresolved issues between spouses. An uncontested divorce can be wrapped up much more quickly than a divorce with contested issues such as the division of real estate assets, business assets or multiple investment accounts.

Will There Be Alimony?

The granting of alimony is primarily dependent on the length of the marriage and whether both spouses have the means or education to maintain their quality of life after the divorce is finalized.

How Much Will Child Support Be?

Child support payments are calculated according to a formula that takes parents’ incomes into consideration. There can be exceptions to the formula when specific circumstances warrant. Our attorneys can help you with all of your child support needs, including modification of existing child support arrangements due to a change in material circumstances.