Know your rights as the payer of child support

On Behalf of | Jul 22, 2016 | Child Support

Just recently this Oneida County family law blog provided a general overview of how some child support obligations may be terminated. Whether through emancipation or marriage, joining the military or reaching the age of majority, most support obligations end and children in New York are generally not entitled to perpetual support from their parents.

Though an unmarried couple has the right to extend its support of a shared child, parents who are obligated to pay child support also have rights they may pursue if their obligations as noncustodial parents become burdensome or unnecessary. Noncustodial parents who cannot afford to pay the support they are ordered to provide may petition the courts for modifications to their obligations, and a noncustodial parent may request that his or her support payments be reduced if the child’s other parent increases his or her income or earnings.

Just as noncustodial parents have rights and responsibilities with regard to child support, so too do the custodial parents with whom the children reside. On behalf of their children custodial parents may request that support payments be augmented to accommodate changes in the children’s anticipated and unexpected needs.

Even with a child support order in force, knowing how to approach the modification, reduction or augmentation of it can be very complicated for a New York parent. In situations where a parent requires assistance with one or more of these processes, the help of a family law attorney can be an invaluable asset. The law firm of Callanen, Foley & Hobika is available to help parents who need help providing adequate support for their kids. Attorneys who work in the child support field can not only give their clients useful information and advice that relates to their cases but can also guide them through negotiations with their kids’ other parents to finalize child support changes. To learn more about what Callanen, Foley & Hobika can offer, please visit the firm’s website on child support.