What are my options if my ex and I have a child support dispute?

On Behalf of | Jun 10, 2016 | Child Support

It is not uncommon for problems to arise between ex-partners when it comes to matters related to their kids. In New York, a divorcing couple may establish child support parameters through either a private agreement that is approved by the court or through litigation. Settling matters related to child support disputes can be resolved through similar paths.

If, for example, a custodial parent learns that his or her child’s educational costs will increase and that the noncustodial parent will need to provide more support in order to accommodate the increase, the custodial parent may reach out to the noncustodial parent and attempt to discuss the change before having it approved by the court. However, if the noncustodial parent does not believe that the increase in support is warranted he or she may refuse to informally discuss the matter.

Such a child support dispute can be handled in a hearing. During the hearing a judge may review the custodial parent’s request for increasing the support as well as the noncustodial parent’s reasons for disagreeing with the request. The court’s decision will generally be issued in an order that mandates the actions of the parties with regard their child support obligations.

Modifications to child support obligations generally must serve the best interests of the child who will be affected by the change or must be necessary to accommodate the financial capacity of the noncustodial or paying parent. For individuals who are currently facing child support disputes with their former partners, family law attorneys can help sort out the details of their clients’ cases and provide guidance on how best to achieve the child support modifications their kids need.