Joseph H. Hobika, Sr., Esq. Joseph H. Hobika, Jr., Esq. Andrew J. Hobika, Esq.

Call 315-327-2849

Maps & Directions
Hobika Law Firm

Contact legal advocates who are on your side and dedicated to recovering the benefits you need.

Get a free consultation

Why am I paying child support past my kid's 18th birthday?

For many Oneida County parents who are obligated to pay child support, their requirement to provide financial support to their offspring ends when the children reach the age of majority. However, this is not the case for every payer of child support. Whether through agreement or by order of a family law court, a parent may be required to pay support beyond their child's eighteenth birthday under several circumstances.

First, a parent may be obligated to continue supporting their child as that child attends college. Parents may agree to pay for their children's tuition, living expenses, and travel costs while the child is a full-time student. This exception is somewhat common.

Second, a parent may be required to extend their financial support of a child into the child's adulthood if the child suffers from impairments or illnesses that impose a burden on the custodial parent. For example, if a child requires medical treatment, occupational therapy and educational support to allow them to function in society, then a paying parent may be required to continue their support of the child so that the custodial parent is not responsible for all of the child's ongoing expenses.

These are only a few of the reasons that a parent may find themselves paying child support into their kid's adulthood. While attaining the age of majority, marriage, joining the military and other life events can terminate a parent's financial obligation to their child, it is possible that a child's special needs will warrant the support of their parents long after they become an adult. To learn more about the circumstances under which a child support order may be extended past the age of majority, readers may discuss their questions with their family law attorneys.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Conveniently Located To Better
Serve Our Clients

Office Location

Hobika Law Firm
1417 Genesee Street
Utica, NY 13501

Toll Free: 800-587-9559
Phone: 315-327-2849
Fax: 315-735-0521
Utica Law Office Map